Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF15

There seems to exist a great divide between foundation wearers: the 'liquid-only' types and the 'mineral-only' types. Personally, I stand above the chasm; I do love both kinds and everything in the murky, shark-infested waters between the two (cream, cream to powder, creamy powder...) but I'll tell you this: most days, it's mineral foundation. Just because it's quick, it's invisible, it doesn't cling to dry patches and it blurrs enlarged pores. What's more to like? Which is why, when my trusty old pot of mineral goodness came to its end last week, I dug into this beauty: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF15 in Tender Rose ($36 for 0.34 oz).
According to the brand, Mineral Powder SPF15 is 'a finely milled powder composed completely of natural elements with 15 active amino acids to promote radiant skin, diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles'. According to me, it's a buttery smooth illuminating mineral foundation with light to medium buildable coverage; look, it has crushed pearls in it! Compared to other mineral foundations I've tried, Laura Mercier Mineral Powder has a lot less dry and creamier texture that evens out imperfections while giving a rather radiant finish to the skin; matte lovers beware!
On my combination skin, the effect is just my skin but better; the product is nearly invisible on the skin but gives a healthy glow overall. On my T-zone, I do wish sometimes it looked a bit less glowy but I could fix that with some blotting powder if I really wanted. In terms of lasting power, it's on the further end of the spectrum for me, along with other powder foundations, and it doesn't break down or go patchy towards the end of the day. I obviously still need to use a more heavy duty concealer on my spots and hyperpigmentation marks as the coverage is not the highest but I do prefer to do a bit more detail work if it keeps my foundation looking natural and subtle.

In terms of color match, I think Tender Rose is a great match for fair skin with cool/pink undertones. Weirdly, when I was swatching it on my arm, the shade oxidized in the middle to a darker, more orangy color but this does not happen on my face at all - I wonder if maybe rubbing the product in too much caused it to oxidize? I had similar experience when swatching the Everyday Minerals Jojoba Base (far right), another creamy mineral powder, and again it doesn't seem to oxidize when it's actually on my face... Interesting.
L-R: Laura Mercier Tender Rose, Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder Foundation in Translucent Light, Everyday Minerals Jojoba Base in Alabaster
Overall, I'm really glad I decided to purchase the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder and I've already worked it into my everyday foundation rotation. The product also works beautifully as a radiant setting powder for more matte/flat foundations, and I do like the more luxurious feel of the packaging, even though it'd be a pain to travel with. Have you tried Laura Mercier Mineral Powder? Are you a 'liquid-only' or 'mineral-only' type?

PS. There will be some colorful liner looks coming very soon to a blog near you featuring Laura Mercier Mineral Powder on mah face, if you'd like to see what it looks like on!

10 comments:

  1. I prefer liquid due to the overall cover, but I have lighter days where my foundation is powder and concealer. Glad this one worked well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful! I'm usually a liquid/cream only person but every now and then a beautiful pressed or loose powder piques my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this powder too but I dont like wearing it on it's own.. As a setting powder it's lovely and glowy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Physicians Formula swatch actually looks really great in your picture. Do you enjoy using that one? I've been thinking of trying this one as I am a fan of mineral foundations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it but use it more as a setting powder since has a touch too little coverage for me; I would say very light to light. I reviewed it a while ago and I have to say back then I was really disappointed that the SPF in it wasn't very effective!

      Delete
  5. Maybe the oxidization occurs in conjunction with whatever other products are "prepping" the skin??

    I was in the powder foundation camp all year but now miss the full flawless and dewy coverage of a nice liquid. There's no pleasing us fickle folk! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that too but then I had nothing on my arm when swatching, not even body lotion, and I usually have a layer of moisturizer on my face when I buff this in! I think it's something to do with the creamy texture of the powder...

      Delete
  6. One of my favorite base products! Happy to see yo enjoy it too. Mineral powders oddly do not last as long on my skin as liquid bases but I absolutely love the finish of this. My pot is almost run out and it's depressing me!! Haha I've been rationing it but it is my go-to for everyday so it's impossible...*le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful mineral powder! I have to say I am the liquid foundation type though- I find that having dry skin, using powder products do accentuate any dry areas of my face and it isn't a good look! And I just love the airbrush look of liquid foundations :) This Laura Mercier powder does look like a perfect match for your skin!

    ReplyDelete